a decade

Ten years ago today I arrived in Battambang.

I was full of dreams and hopes and love for this nation. I was moving here because I knew that's what God had told me to do.

I was excited. I was homesick. I was naive. I was full of myself. I was nervous. I was scared. I was so happy to finally be here though.

I didn't know how long I was going to stay. I was 23 and my idea of a lifetime has been passed by many times already. Teaching English at the youth center seems like forever ago - and it was really. Church at the military hospital hasn't happened in ages, but it used to happen every week. It's been years since our days volunteering at the government orphanage have ended, but it used to consume my schedule. I still see kids riding their bikes around town that live there. It feels like Jeevit's House has been open forever. It's hard to remember a day when I didn't have my boys to take care of.

So much has happened in the last 10 years and I am so grateful. I have made so many friends. I have learned so much more than a new language. And I feel so very at home in this place.

I am in love with this city. I am in love with this nation. My life is all the richer for all the experiences I have had.

I still do not know how long I am going to stay. I anticipate it to be many more lifetimes. There are so many more dreams I want to see happen and so much more I have to learn. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are a remarkable young women Laura. So willing to follow God's calling on your life, leaving a safe life here in the US for uncertainty in Cambodia, the work you did teaching, at the orphanage, starting Jeevits house, raising your boys and making them your own, you have impacted so many lives in such a positive way. Not only the children you taught and cared for, especially little Jeevit, your boys, and your husband, but all of us back in the states. Your example is a powerful one. I know pride is not something you seek, but we are all so proud of you and the work you have done and continue to do, in God's name. You are truly the clay with which he can mold a future for these children. May God continue to Bless you and the work that you do.

Popular Posts